Sunday, September 2, 2012

Pregnant! (Yes, me!) - Part One

I can't believe I finally get to post this!  I'm PREGNANT!  (Seriously, saying that just doesn't get old.)  After trying for the past year, and going through about a million pregnancy tests, I just can't seem to contain my excitement. 

Travel back in time with me, please....

Last July, I got a phone call and a letter from my doctor saying that my physical and all the subsequent blood work looked great, and that we could start trying for a second baby.  Yea!  Because I have PCOS, it is difficult for us to conceive, so I started taking Clomid again (50 mg).  After a few months, I started taking Metformin and Prometrium, just like I had with Jonathan.  Nothing was working, so my doctor started talking about some hormone therapy testing thing.  Blah.  I don't even think I was really listening to him because I did NOT want to go through such intense and invasive testing.  He also mentioned that I might have endometriosis, and that I might need surgery.  Double Blah!  I really didn't want to go through that, either.  As I was freaking out about possible surgery  listening to my doctor, I thought about how I used to chart my menstrual cycles, and that I hadn't met with my nurse in a while (three years is a while, right?).  I asked my doctor if he thought I should meet with my nurse (she's his mother-in-law) and start charting again, and he said it was probably a good idea.  He prescribed Clomid again, but this time at 100 mg (woohoo!), but then told me not to take it on my next cycle because he wanted to start the hormone testing. 

I met with my nurse and started charting again, but because I'm stubborn I didn't want to go through the hormone testing, I took the Clomid anyway, you know, as a "last ditch effort." 

My periods are irregular, but I knew that I was "supposed" to start my period again on the 29th of July.  I had been feeling nauseous and tired (and of course I was peeing a lot!) a few days before I was going to risk taking another test (seriously, pregnancy tests are expensive and I was SO tired of them being negative, that it was no longer "fun" to take them).  By the 28th, I just couldn't wait another day, so I took the test and nothing appeared immediately so I left the test on the counter and walked away.  I went back to the bathroom about 10 minutes later and saw the faintest little pink line.  I'm talking so faint that I practically needed a magnifying glass to see it.  I was in utter shock.  I ran to the living room and told Jonathan that there was a baby in my tummy, and then I completely regretted it because he has a big mouth, which he gets from his daddy.  Then I called my dad - I knew I had to tell him right away because he was such an encouragement to me throughout our journey, and he always let me cry on his shoulder when I was discouraged.  Of course, I swore him to secrecy (hey, he did a pretty good job, he only told two of my uncles).  Then I called my friend, Kim, and shared the news with her. 

You may be asking where Darin was and why he wasn't the first to know...but he was at church for band practice, so I had no way to get in touch with him and I just couldn't contain my excitement.  :O)

I'll share with you how I told Darin the news, and how we shared the joy with the rest of the family in Part Two!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment