Saturday, May 11, 2013

"Come Play With Me"

Nursing has become a difficult time in our household for Jonathan.  Sometimes he will play by himself without any problems, and other times he begs for my attention.  He has jumped on my bed repeatedly, knowing that I could not get up.  He has peed all over the floor in the bathroom, rather than in the potty (this was the same day that I actually had time to clean the bathroom...go figure).  He has gotten a glass of water and dumped it all over himself and the floor...on purpose.  He will do just about anything for attention these days, which is to be expected. 

Today while I was nursing Owen, Jonathan was working on a puzzle at the kitchen table.  He REALLY wanted me to help him, and I told him I would help him as soon as Owen was finished eating.  This wasn't good enough.  He kept making noises and pointing at the chair he wanted me to sit in, all with a big grin on his face.  As soon as I told him I would be over when I was finished, he responded with, "No, I want you to come play with me now."  This went on for about 10 minutes until Darin was able to intervene (he previously told Darin that he only wanted Mommy, not Daddy).

Jonathan's constant pointing, smiling, and begging reminded me of God, and how He wants our attention.  No, God does not need our attention.  In fact, He doesn't need our tithes and offerings, or our praise and adoration.  But He wants it.  He loves us so much more than we can even fathom.  And the same God that created the universe wants to have a relationship with me and with you.  That's humbling.  He desires to have a relationship with us, and any good relationship has good communication.  Communication being a two-way street; He wants us to listen to Him, as well as to talk to Him.  Dialogue.  I wonder how many times a day that I am distracted by other things that seem more important at the time, when all God really wants me to do is to stop and talk to Him for awhile.  Just like Jonathan wanted me to stop and play with him. 

This challenge is for me, as well as all my readers.  Will you stop for a few minutes each day?  Truly STOP.  Get rid of all the distractions in your life and be still before God?  He's asking that of me.  He's asking that of you.  Stop and listen.  Stop and pray.  Stop and just be with God.

Note: My husband recently preached on taking a time-out for worship.  You can check out his sermon, "Time-Out for Worship", from the sermon series "Community of the Committed", as well as other sermons here.

No comments:

Post a Comment